The cat is a furry that is characterized by being very clean, so much so that from a young age if it does not find a place to relieve itself, it will most likely meow so you can take it to the sandbox. However, sometimes it happens that his bathroom is not as good as it should be, or that the feline itself has a health problem that makes it difficult for him to urinate and / or defecate in a normal way.
When that happens, it is when we wonder why my cat does not relieve itself and what we have to do to make it improve as soon as possible. Let’s find out.
Why won’t my cat relieve itself?
- It’s dirty: the litter box is the cat’s bathroom. We, as your caregivers, have to take care of removing the stool every day, and cleaning the tray thoroughly once a week, otherwise, you will prefer to relieve yourself elsewhere.
- It is in a bad place: if we put it near food and / or in a room where the family has lived for a long time, it will not want to use it either since it will not feel comfortable or calm.
- It is too small: we often buy a kitten tray thinking that, even if it grows, it will continue to use it the same, but the truth is that the adult cat needs an adult litter box, that is, one that is large enough so that it can move without difficulty.
- Harassment: there may be other members of the family (cats, dogs or people) who do not leave the animal alone. Each of us needs our personal space, including our cat. You have to let him live relaxed and happy, otherwise he will relieve himself where he can.
- You are afraid: if you have had a bad experience with or near the sandbox, you will not use it. What we can do in these cases is to change the tray, that is, buy a new one, and spray with Feliway or, if we cannot get it, with Catnip spray. In this way, you will be attracted to your new private bathroom. In addition, it is important that we help him by giving him treats for cats near the litter box so that he associates it with something positive (the treats).
- Urine infections: If you have a urinary infection, you will have a lot of trouble urinating. Your urine may even contain blood. If this happens, the cat can remain seated or lying on the tray, it can relieve itself – especially urinate – in other parts of the house, and it can also lick the lower part of the abdomen and its ano-genital area a lot. In the event that we suspect that he has one, we must change his diet, give him a meal that does not have cereals and take him to the vet.
- Hairballs: especially if you have semi-long or long hair, from so much grooming you can swallow a lot of hair, too much for it to be expelled naturally. If we see that in addition to not relieving himself, he has retching and / or vomiting, we can put a little malt on his leg once a day so he can defecate normally again, or a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Constipation: this problem is usually caused by a poor diet. If we give him, for example, a feed that has cereals, the risk of constipation or any other health problem is very high. To improve, we can give you the same treatment as for hairballs.
- Intestinal obstruction by foreign body: Although it is rare, a cat can ingest an object that has become blocked in the intestine. The most common symptoms are vomiting, constipation, and anorexia. He needs urgent veterinary help to be able to return to his daily routine.
What to do?
As we can see, there are several reasons why a cat may stop relieving itself. Therefore, in addition to the advice we have given so far, we recommend always paying close attention to the feline in order to detect any new and small details that may appear in its routine.
People Also Search For
how can i soothe my cats itchy skin
my cat keeps scratching but doesnt have fleas
my cat is out of control
how to stop a cat from scratching himself
why is my cat scared all of a sudden
traumatized cat symptoms
how to stop a cat from licking its fur off
why is my cat so badly behaved
People also ask
Why would my cat just disappear?
How do I get my cat to stop cleaning itself?
Why can’t my cat keep his balance?
Where did my cat go?
What should I do if my cat ran away?
Do cats go away to die?
How long will a cat hide if scared?
Why do cats leave home for days?
How long can a cat go without eating?
How Long Can cats disappear for?
Why is my cat excessively licking and biting himself?
How do you calm a stressed cat?
How do I stop my cat from licking stress?
How often should a cat clean itself?
How do you fix pica in cats?
How much is too much licking for a cat?