Everyone knows a cat’s meow, but not everyone knows how to interpret it. Since Ancient Egypt, where cats were gods, all humans have tried to communicate with their domestic felines.
In fact, the classic MIAU is very likely to derive from the Egyptian MIU, which directly means “cat.” Correctly understanding what he wants to tell us each time he meows, staring at us or not, is essential for a good coexistence.
- You may also be interested in: Symptoms that a cat is jealous
Types of meows
How does a cat meow? Cats emit their meow by opening their mouths and closing it little by little, throwing their tongues back. There are different types of meowing, and to decipher it, it is important to know the context.
An excited or urgently needs cat will meow intensely and persistently. In contrast, short, high-pitched meows indicate that he is relaxed . On the other hand, if our partner meows in a long and intense way, it is that he is angry or nervous.
According to some theories, domestic cats have adapted the sound and intensity of the meow to make them more pleasant to our ears, in a process of mutual domestication.
Cats also express themselves with other sounds such as purring and the curious hissing or chattering of teeth that they emit when they are observing possible prey behind glass.
What does the meow mean?
A cat meows because it is his way of expressing himself with us. Some felines do it often, while others hardly resort to it. Many times it is a question of character. Among some of the most “talkative” breeds we can highlight the Maine Coon , the Persian and above all, the Siamese .
Although a cat can emit up to 60 types of meow with different meanings , it should be noted that felines do not meow at each other, they only emit sounds to attract the attention of humans. In fact, the verbal medium is not his favorite.
Reasons that explain why cats meow:
- Newly home kittens need direct contact with their mother. More than meows, they are small screams that usually last about 0.6 seconds.
- To greet or welcome home . For a tired human, nothing is more comforting than the soft meow of his cat companion, although some cats sense the arrival of their owner and meow loudly.
- They seek to attract attention and get things, especially that they caress and pamper them, but also that the human plays with them.
- In order to get food . It’s that persistent, short, high-pitched, rising meow that won’t stop in any way until you fill the food bowl.
- The meowing of the cat in heat and also of the male is constant, prolonged and somewhat broken.
- The visit to the vet . It is one of the main causes of cat stress and causes a long, throaty, descending meow.
- If something hurts . Cats rarely hint that something serious is wrong with them until they can’t hurt anymore. Attentive again to the tone and expression of his face. The cat that meows at night may suffer from high blood pressure or kidney difficulties.
- When a cat is very old . It’s a weaker meow, sometimes at the wrong time.
- Do not touch me . More than a meow, it is a hiss or hiss, expelling air with an open mouth.
- Of happiness , just like the purr.
The frequency of the meowing in the cat can reveal a health problem or a very specific need. Therefore, always attend to him that he does and do not feel any rush to speak to him in your own language: he understands you perfectly and is able to find out your mood according to the tone of voice. Just like you do with your feline companion.
What does a cat’s meow mean?
Is a cat meowing good or bad?
Why do cats meow back when you meow?
Do cats like to be talked to?
How do you say I love you to your cat?
What do cats think humans are?
Do cats talk to humans?
What does it mean if a cat licks you?
Do cats cry?
Should you talk to your cat?
What does it mean when cats purr?
Why does my cat walk around crying?
Why does my cat grunt when I pet him?
Do cats understand kisses?
Why do cats go in the bathroom with you?
Why does my cat take my spot when I get up?
Why do cats meow when they see you?
Are house cats happy?
why do cats purr
why do cats meow at night
why do cats meow at humans
why do cats yowl at night
why do cats meow back at you
why is my cat meowing so much
why do cats knead
my cat keeps meowing and rubbing against everything