Causes of fever in cats
There are several causes for which a cat can have a fever, including: flu, cold, cancer, viral or bacterial diseases, viral infections, lupus, or it is even possible that some medications make it have this symptom.
In any case, it is important to keep in mind that fever is just that, a symptom. The cat could be having a very serious illness, which could put its life in danger.
How to know if my cat has a fever
The body temperature of a healthy cat must be between 38 and 39.5ºC; when it is higher, it is because your body is fighting viruses, bacteria, or because you have a tumor. To take its temperature, you will need a digital rectal thermometer , a lubricant (such as petroleum jelly), and a clean cloth .
Then follow this step by step:
- Clean the thermometer.
- Cover the tip with a little lubricant.
- Lift the cat’s tail, and insert the tip into its rectum.
- When the thermometer stops, carefully remove it and observe the temperature.
If necessary, have someone hold the cat by the front leg area.
Treatment of fever in cats
If the thermometer indicates that the feline has a fever, it will be time to start treating it. How? In the following way:
- You have to keep the cat hydrated. If you see that he does not drink, you will have to give it to him with a syringe without a needle . Give it little by little, with the animal standing on its legs or lying down; You should never put it in an upright position, as it could choke.
- Feed him quality canned cat food , without by-products or grains. They smell much more than dry feed, so you probably won’t hesitate to eat.
- Put it in a warm and comfortable room.
- Twice a day, place cool wet compresses on her forehead, legs, abdomen, and groin. Leave it on for a few minutes, and then dry it well so it doesn’t get cold.
People Also Search For
homeopathic remedy for cat with fever
how to tell if your cat has a fever without a thermometer
cat fever medicine india
how to take cat temperature
toxins that cause fever in cats
can you give a cat ibuprofen for fever
cat fever not responding to antibiotics
cat limping and has fever
People also ask
What can I give my cat for fever?
How long does cat fever last?
Can a fever kill a cat?
How can I help my sick cat without going to the vet?
How do you comfort a sick cat?
How can I cool my cat down?
What does Cat Scratch Fever look like?
What antibiotics can cats take?
What are the signs of your cat dying?
Why are my cat’s ears hot?
Do cats recover from calicivirus?
Can I give my cat chicken broth?
Can cats catch the flu?
What happens when a cat has FIV?
Can I give my cat Tylenol?
Are cats heads supposed to be warm?
Can you take a cat’s temperature with an infrared thermometer?