Anemia is a disease that, if not treated in time, can be fatal for those who suffer from it. In the case of the cat, being a rather small animal and being too good at hiding pain and discomfort, we must pay close attention to any symptoms that may arise, because that is when we should take it to the vet as soon as possible.
To know more about the subject, we are going to tell you what types of anemia in cats there are and what is the treatment .
What types are there?
Anemia is a disease that occurs when there is a significant lack of red blood cells, or when these blood cells do not contain enough hemoglobin, which is a protein rich in iron. In the cat there are two types:
- Regenerative anemia: This is when your body is losing more red blood cells than it can regenerate, but your bone marrow maintains the ability to create new ones.
- Non-regenerative anemia: it is one in which the cat’s body has lost the ability to manufacture red blood cells.
What Causes Anemia in Cats?
There are several causes :
- Internal bleeding
- Iron deficiency
- Feline leukemia
- Renal disease
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of anemia are not always easy to detect, since the development of the disease is usually rather slow. Even so, if we notice that his breath smells bad , that he breathes in an agitated, short and fast way , and if he also has constant weakness, fever and yellow skin , we should take him to the vet as soon as possible.
How is it treated?
Treatment will depend on the cause :
- If you have anemia from bleeding, you will receive a blood transfusion.
- If you lack nutrients, you should change the diet for a more nutritious one.
- If it is due to infection (such as parasites), it will be treated with antiparasitics, antibiotics and, in severe cases, with blood transfusions.
People Also Search For
how to increase red blood cells in cats
how to get an anemic cat to eat
cat dying from anemia
non regenerative anemia in cats treatment
anemia in cats with kidney failure
toxins that cause anemia in cats
infectious anemia in cats
anemic cat life expectancy
People also ask
What are the 7 types of anemia?
Can anemia in cats be cured?
What can cause anemia in cats?
Are anemic cats in pain?
What are three symptoms that all patients with anemia have in common?
How can you test for anemia at home?
Can you tell if you are anemic by your eyes?
How can I tell if I am anemic?
What is considered severe anemia?
What foods to avoid if you are anemic?
How serious is being anemic?
What are the 3 stages of iron deficiency?
How does anemia make you feel?
How many forms of anemia are there?
How long does it take to recover from anemia?