Healthy cats are animals that groom themselves several times a day and therefore do not give off any smell that we can perceive. However, things change when they are sick, as that is when their body odor becomes very unpleasant.
For this reason I am going to talk to you about the body odor of cats , since this way it will be easier for you to know what to do in case your furry ones start to smell bad.
Why don’t cats usually smell bad?
Cats, even if they live in safe homes, still maintain a good part of their wild instincts. And one of them, surely the strongest, is survival. It is true: at home he may not have – and should not have, in fact – any enemies, but still he, just in case and also because he is very clean, will groom himself very often so that potential predators are not attracted towards him .
What are the causes of feline bad smell?
There are several:
- Infectious: for example, from the ear or mouth. In the first case we will see that they scratch often, and in the second they may have infected teeth or palate, an oral abscess or a disease of the digestive system.
- Digestive: whether you are given an inadequate diet (rich in cereals) and / or if you have a food allergy, it can also give off a bad smell.
- Intestinal parasites: unfortunately you are very vulnerable to them, especially if you are very young or if you go outside.
- Sexualmaturity: when it reaches its sexual maturity, its urine gives off a very strong and unpleasant aroma. To avoid this there is nothing like castration.
- Glandular: although it is more common in dogs, it can appear in cats. And it is that under the tail it has glands that secrete a substance with a characteristic smell if they become clogged.
- Bacteria and fungi: external parasites, such as fleas or ticks, cause skin infections that attract bacteria and / or fungi, which are the ones that produce a bad smell in addition to itching, pain, and peeling.
How to remove it?
The first thing to do is take him to the vet to tell you why he smells bad and how to treat him, since for example if what he has are parasites with an antiparasitic drug the problem can be solved, but if what happens is that has a food allergy, his diet will have to be changed.
But apart from that, at home you will have to make some changes:
- Brush it at least once a day, twice if it is shedding or has long hair.
- Give him a quality diet, without grains or by-products.
- Clean its teeth once a day with a specific toothpaste for catsthat you will find on sale in pet stores.
- Keep your litter box clean, without feces or urine For this I advise using quality agglomerating sand, or silica. You have more information here .
- Deworm it both inside and out. Once a month it is advisable to give a pill to eliminate intestinal parasites. In the case of external ones, you can put an antiparasitic only during the warm season, or use homemade if you never leave the house .
People Also Search For
cat fur smells bad
cat smells sweet
cat smells musky
my cat smells like urine
cat leaking smelly fluid
how to make my cat smell better
my cat smells like death
my cat smells bad and is losing weight