Happiness Through Play
It is almost unnatural to have a cat and not allow it to play. For the little feline, whatever its age, play is vital and occupies a good part of his days. No need to invest in expensive toys, because nothing amuses him and to have fun, we must admit that he has more than one trick up his sleeve. From a piece of string to a cork, from a bouncing ball to a mechanical mouse with a bell, the cat has plenty to keep busy for hours and maintain its natural joviality.
The game is essential for the proper development of the cat and participates directly or indirectly in his education. He must therefore be given the opportunity to play alone at times and with his master at other times. The cat can also share its recreational activities with another animal, whether a congener or not. Distracting, the game is essential for the cat to exert itself, develop its balance, its musculature, its visual, olfactory and auditory acuity, its ability to concentrate and analyze as well as its hunting instinct. It also acts like a real anxiolytic.
To avoid boredom in the absence of his master, especially if the cat has to be alone at home or in the apartment for several hours, it is very important to leave at his disposal the toys with which he likes having fun alone.
Create A Space Of His Own
The space dedicated to the cat must be enriched with material intended for it. We therefore do not hesitate to install:
- A small comfortable corner where he will like to curl up in complete safety: he must not be in a place of passage because during his phases of rest, the cat does not like to be disturbed.
- More or less hidden and raised areas so that he can observe his environment without being seen, an occupation he loves.
- A cat flap that facilitates access to the outside in complete freedom, provided that the garden, courtyard and balcony are secure.
The diversity of facilities allows him to have a choice. Cushion, old blanket, cardboard: the cat must have completely free access to everything. Note that he also likes to watch the surroundings from the window sill, the back of an armchair, the shelf of a library or the top of an old cupboard. You just have to avoid putting fragile objects on it if you want to limit the risk of breakage, even if the cat is an animal renowned for its delicacy.
Respect His Peace
To be happy, the cat must feel free. We only take him in our arms if he wants to and it’s the same for caresses. It is just as fundamental to respect the times during which he grooms himself. In other words, the cat is an animal that you never force to do something if it does not want to.
Regarding the litter box location which is ideally chosen with a lid, it must be located a little away from comings and goings and if possible in a place where the animal is not likely to be observed because it hates it.
Give Him All The Necessary Care Gently
Even if the cat is a independent animal, he is no less eager for hugs and attention. He knows how to beg signs of affection from his master. This type of expectation must therefore be met for the cat to be happy.
You never raise your hand to your cat and it is no need to shout after him. When he needs to be reprimanded, just use a firm tone. The cat knows very well how to distinguish the different intonations and understand the meaning of each of them.
At the same time, we give him all the care he needs to know :
- Feed him, of course, by choosing foods of very good quality and adapted to his age and his way of life (active or sedentary).
- Allow him to eat frequently but little at a time so as not to exceed his daily ration because excess food on a daily basis increases the risk of obesity in cats as in humans.
- Make sure he always has fresh water available.
- Offer him a scratching post to meet a natural need. Some basic models consist of a simple cardboard tray and contain catnip. Others, more sophisticated, consist of a central pillar and several observation decks. It can also be a scratching tower with different openings allowing the cat to hide inside.
- Brush it every day if it has long hair and every four days if it is a short haired cat.
- Have your health checked regularly by a veterinarian.
- Opt as soon as possible for the sterilization because it limits the risk of running away and protects his health. It is therefore an excellent solution for increase your life expectancy.
- Control all pests as they carry disease. There are very effective specific shampoos and lotions, natural preventive treatments and collars impregnated with an antiparasitic.
- Clean his toilet as often as possible.
Taking good care of his cat is very important for him to be happy because he is able to realize, in this way, how much his master loves him. It therefore requires a large availability from family members and patience. Finally, for the happiness of the twink, it is recommended to respect the different areas which are essential to him so that he can perfectly organize your territory.