The idea that cats have an infallible sense of direction is almost as widespread as the belief that they have seven lives. However, although a feline can be absent from home and return without problems, it can also happen that he does not return.
In this article we address this issue to answer a common question: “If a cat escapes, will it know how to return home?” Let’s see.
- You may also be interested in: How to make a cat obedient
Why do cats run away?
One of the best known characteristics of cats is their curiosity. Once you control your home environment, your instincts will inevitably ask you to experience new challenges. And for this, there is nothing that catches their attention more than being outdoors , something that offers them the possibility of polishing both their hunting and seductive skills.
However, not all cats are the same. That is why you should be more attentive if your feline is very curious or energetic from a young age. This means that, with greater probability, he will try to leave home at the first change.
My cat is lost, will he be able to go home alone?
Felines have great intelligence and their senses are highly developed. Thanks to this they can move comfortably and orient themselves well within their closest environment. If it is habitual for the cat to walk around your neighborhood, it is more likely that it has a well-identified path home .
Also, when lost, cats try to track them back. How do they do that? They usually look for the marks they have left behind, such as the smell of urine or their own pheromones.
However, outside the safety of the home they face different risks such as fights, accidents or illnesses, it is even possible that due to hunger, they rummage through the garbage and mistakenly take some toxic food for them. Unfortunately, nothing can guarantee that in the event that it escapes, it will return.
What to do if our kitty does not return
If you see that your cat has disappeared or does not return home after two or three hours, do not lose your head. Go around your area in case you see it and notify the nearest protector. At best, if he’s male, he’s just flirting around the neighborhood.
If he’s been away for more than 18 or 24 hours, you may start to think that maybe he’s lost or had a setback. What you can do in such circumstances is:
- Make flyers or posters to post around the neighborhood. This is always helpful. Ideally, distribute them to veterinarians and the most popular stores in your neighborhood.
- Social media is another sounding board that can be of great help. Share the notice on all your social networks and ask your friends to spread it to achieve the widest possible reach. The more times it is shared, the more chances someone will find it.
- Get in touch with the volunteers of the protectoras in your neighborhood. This way they will be on alert and can help you in the search process.
- Many newspapers have a special section to run search ads for lost dogs or cats. Also use this resource!
Being prepared for such cases can make a difference. But, as the saying goes, “prevention is always better than cure”. To avoid having to go through this bad drink, take into account a series of tips.
Tips to prevent a cat from running away
While it is almost impossible to foresee how our cat will act, it will be more unlikely that it will escape if:
- Its atmosphere is pleasant . When the cat is comfortable at home it is very difficult for it to want to escape. Nothing like offering him his own space, a well-groomed litter box and an area reserved for his feeding. In addition, it is essential to put at your disposal some places for you to exercise. The more bored she is at home, the more she will want to go outside, so try to keep that from happening.
- You give them love . Set aside time to play with your pussycat. If they feel loved, they won’t want to be anywhere else. In addition to pampering and caressing, remember to provide them with a good diet and worry about their health. That’s too darling!
- They are sterilized . This procedure helps prevent felines from being tempted to wander outside the home. Neutering is the most effective measure to prevent or reduce behaviors related to the cat’s sexual desire and, therefore, slows its urge to run away. Before choosing this option, consult your trusted veterinarian.
In the event that you have not been able to prevent him from leaving the house sometime, teach him to return with prizes. Offering him a treat or a toy will help keep him from wanting to be away for too long. Another way is to say two or three affectionate words to him and play with him.
The possibility of it getting lost or lost is always there. Therefore, it is advisable to be aware of their habits and needs. Well, tell us: does your cat usually take longer walks than usual? Have you ever been afraid that you wouldn’t know how to get back home?
People Also Search For
can indoor cats find their way home
can a cat find its way home 6 miles away
can cats find their way home from far away
indoor cat got out wont come back
why do female cats run away from home
my cat hasnt come home in a week
why do cats leave home for days
do cats come back home after they run away
People also ask
Do cats come back home after they run away?
Do cats know how do you return home?
How do you get a cat back from escaped house?
How long does it take a lost cat to return home?
Do cats remember where they live?
How do you attract a missing cat home?
What are the chances of my cat coming back?
Does putting a litter box outside for lost cat?
Why is my cat acting weird after going outside?
How far do cats roam from their house?
Do cats always come back?
How far can a cat hear you calling?
Can an indoor cat survive outside?
Where do cats go when they run away?