The idea that cats have an unerring sense of direction is almost as widespread as the belief that they have seven lives. However, although a feline can leave home and return without problems, it can also happen that he does not return.
In this article we address this issue to answer a common question: “If a cat escapes, will it know how to return home?” Let’s see.
You may also be interested in: How to make a cat obedient
Why do cats run away?
One of the most well-known characteristics of cats is their curiosity. Once they are in control of their home environment, their instincts will inevitably ask them to experience new challenges. And for this, there is nothing that catches their attention more than being outdoors , something that offers them the possibility of polishing both their hunting and seductive skills.
However, not all cats are the same. That is why you should be more attentive if your feline is very curious or energetic from a young age. This means that, with greater probability, he will try to leave home at the first change.
My cat is lost, will he be able to go home alone?
Felines have great intelligence and their senses are highly developed. Thanks to this they can move comfortably and orient themselves well within their closest environment. If it is habitual for the cat to walk around your neighborhood, it is more likely that it has a well-identified path home .
Also, when lost, cats try to track them back. How do they do that? They usually look for the marks they have left behind, such as the smell of urine or their own pheromones.
However, outside the safety of the home they face different risks such as fights, accidents or illnesses, it is even possible that due to hunger, they rummage through the garbage and mistakenly take some toxic food for them. Unfortunately, nothing can guarantee that in the event that it escapes, it will return.
What to do if our pussy does not return
If you see that your cat has disappeared or does not return home after two or three hours, do not lose your head. Go around your area in case you see it and notify the nearest protector. At best, if he’s male, he’s just flirting around the neighborhood.
If he has been away for more than 18 or 24 hours, you may start to think that maybe he is lost or has had a setback. What you can do in such circumstances is:
- Make flyers or posters to post around the neighborhood. This is always helpful. Ideally, distribute them to veterinarians and the most popular stores in your neighborhood.
- Social media is another sounding board that can be of great help. Share the notice on all your social networks and ask your friends to spread it to achieve the widest possible reach. The more times it is shared, the more likely someone will find it.
- Get in touch with the volunteers of the protectoras in your neighborhood. This way they will be on alert and can help you in the search process.
- Many newspapers have a special section to run search ads for lost dogs or cats. Also use this resource!
Being prepared for such cases can make a difference. But, as the saying goes, “prevention is always better than cure”. To avoid having to go through this bad drink, take into account a series of tips.
Tips to prevent a cat from running away from home
While it is almost impossible to foresee how our cat will act, it will be more unlikely that it will escape if:
- Its atmosphere is pleasant. When the cat is comfortable at home, it is very difficult for it to want to escape. Nothing like offering him his own space, a well-groomed litter box and an area reserved for his feeding. In addition, it is essential to put at your disposal some places for you to exercise. The more bored she is at home, the more she will want to go outside, so try to keep that from happening.
- You give them love. Set aside time to play with your pussycat. If they feel loved, they won’t want to be anywhere else. In addition to pampering and caressing, remember to provide them with a good diet and worry about their health. That’s too darling!
- They are sterilized. This procedure helps prevent felines from being tempted to wander outside the home. Neutering is the most effective measure to prevent or reduce behaviors related to the cat’s sexual desire and, therefore, slows its urge to run away. Before choosing this option, consult your trusted veterinarian.
In the event that you have not been able to prevent him from leaving the house sometime, teach him to return with prizes. Offering him a treat or a toy will help keep him from wanting to be away for too long. Another way is to say two or three affectionate words to him and play with him.
The possibility of it getting lost or escaping is always there. Therefore, it is advisable to be aware of their habits and needs. Well, tell us: does your cat usually take longer walks than usual? Have you ever been afraid that you wouldn’t know how to get back home?