Our furry friends can sometimes have constipation problems, either because the food we give them is low in fiber, because they have formed a ball of hair, or because they do not like their litter box. In all these cases, it is very important that we observe it well, because if we do not do so, the excrement will be absorbed by the body again, thus creating a layer in the intestines, which is very dangerous for your health.
To avoid this, I am going to tell you how to treat constipation in cats .
How do I know if my cat is constipated?
The most common symptoms of constipation in cats are the following:
- Loss of appetite: itis likely that it will approach the feeder, but you will see that it does not feel like eating. You can take a few bites and little else.
- Vomiting:this is a symptom that will appear especially if you have hairballs, or if you have swallowed something that you should not. The body tries to get rid of it through the animal’s mouth.
- Stop combing –the cat may feel so bad that it will stop combing and grooming itself normally.
- Leave your excrement out of the sandbox:if you don’t just like your tray, what you will do is leave your stool out of it, which will be in the form of small and hard balls.
- Presence of blood or mucus in the stool:if you see blood or mucus, it is a clear sign that your cat is constipated.
How is it treated?
To treat constipation it is necessary to first know what is causing it, so it is highly recommended to take him to the vet to tell us exactly why he is constipated, especially if he vomits, because as we said, it could be that he has a ball of hair or swallowed something you shouldn’t.
At home we will also have to do some things, which are:
- Give him a quality meal, without grains and with a high protein content (of animal origin). If you can afford it, it’s even better if you feed him raw meat.
- Comb it daily. This way we will eliminate dead hair, and thus reduce the risk of hairballs forming.
- Play with it, keep it active. We will spend several minutes a day (for example, 10 in the morning and 10 in the afternoon) to exercise the furry.
- Give him a tablespoon of apple cider vinegarif he has occasional constipation.
- And of course, keep the litter tray clean and in a quiet place, where the family does not live much life.
People Also Search For
cat constipation olive oil
cat food for constipation
how to palpate a cat for constipation
how to tell if your cat is constipated
cat hasnt pooped in 5 days
cat constipation massage
cat constipation fish oil
cat constipation butter