At present, it is increasingly common to find cats suffering from cancer. These patients, in addition to veterinary treatment, will need a quality of life in which food will play an essential role .
- You may also be interested in: BARF Diet Amounts for a cat
What is cancer?
Cancer is basically an abnormal growth of cells. These will replicate at a higher rate than normal cells do. In this way they can invade other tissues and travel to different parts of the body, which is known as metastasis .
Cancer can be benign or malignant and cause more or less severe symptoms. In general, tumors are treated by removing them , if possible, or with medication. Not everyone can be cured but we can always focus on maintaining our cat’s quality of life.
How does cancer affect the cat’s diet?
In principle, a cat with cancer can maintain the diet to which it was accustomed before becoming ill. Of course, it is important that the food we offer you is of quality, since this will contribute to improving your physical condition .
The problem is that it is common for these cats to be inappetent. Stopping eating will cause complications such as malnutrition, which aggravates the situation. Therefore, in these and, in general, in any other sick cat, it is crucial to encourage it to eat and, in addition, it is essential that the diet be of quality, including supplements of high nutritional value .
If the cat refuses to eat food despite all our attempts we will have to notify the veterinarian so that force- feeding begins , using a tube that is placed in the nose or esophagus.
Cancer also affects the cat’s diet in the sense that its own growth induces changes in metabolism because these cells consume nutrients at a faster rate than healthy cells.
A cancer located in the mouth that makes it difficult to swallow or one in the digestive system that causes symptoms such as nausea or vomiting will hinder the intake and absorption of nutrients. These symptoms can also appear as side effects of chemotherapy , which may even alter the senses of smell and taste.
What should the diet of a cat with cancer be like?
This must be based on the principles of palatability and high energy density . This means that the food that we offer the cat must be appetizing and nutritious, so that, even eating a small amount, we can keep it nourished.
We can use commercial dry or wet food, always looking for the best quality that we can, or opt for a homemade diet supervised by a professional. A veterinarian specialized in nutrition will ensure that the chosen diet is balanced, since we cannot risk any nutritional deficit.
How can I help my cat eat?
In addition to offering tasty and quality food, we can follow the following recommendations to encourage the cat to eat them:
- Cats are very sensitive to changes, so if we introduce them to new foods, they may reject them. But, precisely because of that sensitivity, he is able to relate a certain food with his discomfort, so that he will refuse to eat it. In these cases we could try to fill the plate with something completely new.
- The cat can develop an aversion to a food but, also, to the place where we have given it. That is why we can change the place of the feeder. If we give him some medication with the food it can also end up generating aversion.
- We can choose a different food just to give you the drugs, if we know your favorite food we can give it to you. It will not be healthy for you to just eat that, but it is always better to eat something than nothing.
- Little by little we can try to expand their menu . Wet or homemade food is often more palatable than dry. If the cat only accepts the feed we can try to moisten it.
- Introducing him to warm food helps stimulate smell and thus encourages him to eat. On the other hand, there will be cats with an aversion to this temperature that will prefer cold food.
- It will be easier for the cat to accept the food if we divide it into several servings throughout the day.We should never force the cat to eat.
- Yes, we can try, in those who are sicker, to encourage them by administering pap with a syringe, without a needle, on the side of the mouth, behind the tusk.
- The porridge can be made by grinding any food with a little water or by resorting to commercial cans indicated for convalescence .
- There are drugs that our veterinarian can guide us in order to control nausea , vomiting and whet the appetite.
- Finally, remember that if none of this works, you will have to go to the vet to feed the cat through a tube.
xHow long do cats live after being diagnosed with cancer?
Does cancer make cats hungry?
Is Cancer painful for cats?
Are cats good for cancer patients?
Do cats with cancer eat a lot?
What are the final stages of lymphoma in cats?
How do you know if a cat is suffering?
Can cats recover from cancer?
Do cats know when they are dying?
What is the most common cancer in cats?
What does cancer look like on a cat?
Do steroids help cats with cancer?
Will blood test show cancer in cats?
What does prednisone do for cats with cancer?
How long can a cat go without eating?
How do you know if your cat is dying from cancer?
How many years does a cat live?
How much is chemotherapy for cats?
Is cat cancer contagious?
xhomemade cat food for cancer
how to shrink a tumor in a cat
how to care for a cat with terminal cancer
liquid diet for cat with cancer
cat with oral cancer wont eat
baby food for cats with cancer
what to feed a cat with mouth cancer
caring for a cat with cancer