Its multiple and beneficial properties make chamomile a resource to consider when addressing the eye hygiene of your pet. Therefore, in this post we explain how to clean a cat’s eyes with chamomile.
However, you should never give a heavenly power to chamomile infusion. If your cat remains with swollen eyes or secretions for several days you should go to the vet . Chamomile can be used as an adjunct to prescribed treatment, not as a medicine.
- You may also be interested in: Main eye diseases in cats
The importance of eye cleaning in cats
Cats’ eyes are especially sensitive and, since their adventurous nature leads them to sniff around in places that are not exactly neat, it is crucial that you take care of their sanitation.
In addition, there are certain breeds, the so-called brachycephalics due to their broad head and flat nose, which present continuous tearing . Persians , Himalayans and Devon Rex are prone to nasolacrimal obstruction due to their large volume of tears.
In these cases, it is advisable to intensify the frequency of eye cleaning from the 2-3 agreed for the rest of the breeds, every day. In turn, chamomile will help you reverse the yellow or brown tone produced by this tearing, killing all bacteria.
Chamomile, a natural eye drop
Among the components of chamomile, alpha bisabolol, chamazulene and flavonoids (luteol, apigenol and quercetol) stand out. The first of these is a viscous and colorless oil with powerful regenerating, healing and anti-inflammatory powers.
The coumarins present in chamomile enable it to reduce edema, so it is not surprising that this plant is used as natural eye drops for its soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Do you know that it also manages to reduce eye pressure when it is unbalanced?
Qualities that justify its use as an antiseptic and moisturizer in your feline’s eye hygiene routine. Remember that legañas tend to harden if they are not removed.
Therefore, as the days go by, they can obstruct the tear duct and promote the appearance of diseases, in addition to causing an unpleasant feeling for your best friend.
Diseases such as conjunctivitis, uveitis or feline glaucoma are evidenced through persistent secretions, which should be controlled by practicing diligent cleaning . Practice for which this plant is postulated as a complete ally.
When to apply chamomile to a cat
Regular cleaning of your cat’s eyes with chamomile is indicated in the assumptions detailed below, as it will keep the area clean, relieve discomfort and help reduce swelling:
- The elimination of legañas or secretions adhered to the eyes.
- The cleaning of persistent tearing.
- Your cat has red and / or itchy eyes as is the case with conjunctivitis.
- The eyelids are swollen, including the third eyelid or the nictitating membrane.
- Your cat has ophthalmia caused by the proliferation of fungi, viruses or bacteria. Of course, always as an adjunct to ophthalmological treatment prescribed by the veterinarian.
How to prepare chamomile?
To prepare a natural chamomile-based eye drops you will need a ratio of 1 liter of water to 2 teaspoons of dried flowers of this plant.
However, you can adjust the amount if it is excessive respecting this equivalence. It is not advisable to keep the preparation, since the infusion ferments over the days and harmful bacteria can develop for certain already existing pathologies.
Therefore, and especially if your cat already has an eye disease diagnosed, you must replace the chamomile infusion preparing it every time you need it and letting it cool before applying it.
To make a chamomile infusion you must follow these steps:
- Boil the water with the chamomile in a container with the measure indicated above.
- Remove it from the heat and cover it when it has broken to a boil to release its properties.
- Let it cool without a lid.
- Strain it and keep it in the refrigerator for no more than 48 hours.
Tips for cleaning a cat’s eyes with chamomile
As important as respecting the steps to make a good infusion is to keep certain aspects in mind when cleaning your cat’s eyes with chamomile.
We refer to:
- Use a sterile gauze to soak it in the infusion.
- Hold the cat’s head and do not exert excessive pressure. Your cat must remain relaxed so that he does not associate this practice with something unpleasant. You should not touch the eyeball, only the tear.
- You should use 2 cups, one for each eye. This will prevent you from spreading the infection from one eye to the other.
- You can help yourself with a towel to wrap your cat and prevent it from stirring.
- Refuse the chamomile infusion if your pet has a wound in the eye or in the immediate area. In that case, you should administer the serum or ophthalmic solution that the vet has prescribed.
- Do not exceed its administration 2 or 3 times a day because it has a powerful effect. Do not give him the infusion to drink, as he could become intoxicated.
- Keep the chamomile in an airtight jar protected from solar radiation and the infusion, once tempered, in the refrigerator in a glass container.
Now that you know how to clean a cat’s eyes with chamomile, don’t hesitate to use it regularly as an effective cleanser, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing. Of course, never ignore the eye treatment of your cat if it has been prescribed.
Should I clean my cat’s eye boogers?
What is the brown stuff in my cat’s eyes?
Can I clean my cat’s eye with salt water?
What is normal cat eye discharge?
What does a cat eye infection look like?
Will a cat eye infection heal on its own?
Why does my cat have green eye boogers?
Can you use tea bags on cats eyes?
Why does my cat always have black eye boogers?
Why is my cat’s eye cloudy?
What antibiotics treat eye infections in cats?
Can cat’s cry?