Has your cat been diagnosed with scabies? If so, it is important to remain calm. It is true that it can be very contagious, but it is also true that taking a series of measures and following the advice of the veterinarian in the end everything will end up returning to normal .
Read on to find out how to take care of a cat with mange and get it back to health as soon as possible.
What is scabies?
Scabies is a skin disease caused by mites. Several types are distinguished:
- Notohedral scabies: produced by Notoedres cati . The symptoms are intense itching, and discomfort in the cat. It is not contagious to humans.
- Demodectic scabies: produced by the Demodex canis mite . It can be localized, when the symptoms (itching, baldness) are concentrated in some part of the body, or generalized. It is also not contagious to humans.
- Otodectic scabies: produced by the Otodectes cynotis mite . Its symptoms are intense itching and a bad smell in the cat’s ears due to excess wax. It is very contagious.
- Cheiletiellosis or “walking dandruff”: it isproduced by the mite Cheyletiella sp. Symptoms are intense itching, redness, hair loss in the affected areas and redness.
How to care for a cat with scabies?
Veterinary and home treatment
If we suspect that he has scabies, the first thing we have to do is take him to the vet to examine him and start treating him . To improve it, we can recommend putting a pipette (it is a kind of plastic bottle inside which is the liquid that will eliminate parasites), and an antibacterial dry shampoo. But at home we can also give you some home remedies:
- Olive oil: it is applied on the affected areas. Thus, little by little, both the eggs that the parasites may have left will be eliminated, as well as the adults.
- Neem oil: it is a powerful and effective remedy against scabies, as it regenerates the skin and is also antibacterial. It is mixed in equal parts with olive oil and applied to the affected areas.
Keep it separate from the family
If it has a type of mange contagious to humans, it is very important that the cat stays in a room where it has a bed, its drinker and feeder, scratching post and toys. But beware, just because you have to be in this room doesn’t mean you have to stay alone. In fact, in order for him to recover as soon as possible it is very important to spend as much time as possible (and more 😉) with him and give him a lot of love .
Clean the house
Regardless of the type of scabies you have been diagnosed with, it is necessary that we clean blankets, sheets, the floor, furniture, … everything very well every day. We will use hot water to eliminate the possible eggs that the mites may have left. To clean the floor, it is highly advisable to put a little antiparasitic in the mop bucket. In this way, we will prevent the problem from getting worse.
Thus, we can be sure that we are doing everything possible so that our friend recovers soon 🙂.
People Also Search For
scabies in cats treatment at home
mange in cats treatment at home
best treatment for scabies in cats
mange treatment for cats
cat mange spray
how to treat mange in feral cats
how to get rid of cat mites on humans
pictures of cats with mange
People also ask
Can scabies live on cats?
What do scabies look like on cats?
How can I treat my cat for mange at home?
How long can scabies live on mattress?
What causes feline scabies?
Does Lysol kill scabies?
How do people get scabies?
What kill scabies instantly?
How long does scabies last?
What do scabies look like on skin?
What does miliary dermatitis look like?
What can I put on my cats sores?