Has your kitten reached or is about to reach 4 months of life? Then this article interests you. At that age the feline still has a lot of energy, but now that it has been eating solid food for a while (I think, or barf), its muscles have been strengthened enough so that the animal can walk, jump and run without problem.
And that is precisely why we must pay more attention to it than ever to avoid accidents. So let’s see how to care for a 4 month old cat.
It is important that the cat from weaning onwards feed mainly on meat; not in vain, it is a carnivorous animal. Now that he is little, he can be given better food hu for kittens -as long as it does not contain cereals or by-products-, or else high-quality specific feed soaked with water or milk for kittens.
If we have not already done so, now is a good time to get used to the brushing routine. He may still not lose a lot of hair (in fact, it would be normal that practically nothing would fall out), but if we do not start brushing him now that he is young, then when he is an adult it will cost him more.
Therefore, we will take a comb if you have short hair or a brush if you have long hair, we will show it to you, let you smell it and touch it, and then we will gradually pass it through different areas while we caress and / or we give you cat treats.
Well, I am not in favor of bathing the cat. It is an animal that already keeps itself clean since it spends a large part of its time grooming itself . Their tongue has small “hooks” that catch both dead hair and dirt, and with that their coat and quality food will make their coat look healthy and shiny.
Now, if it gets very dirty -something that can happen being so young-, we can take a cloth moistened with warm water and a little cat shampoo and clean it like this, having it standing on the sink, for example.
It is very important to spend time playing with é l . As we said before, he has a lot of energy, and that energy… he has to spend it 🙂. For that we will have to buy toys, or make them ourselves. For example, with aluminum foil we can make golf-sized balls that you will love, or with a string attached to a stick about 40cm long we will keep you entertained and also perfect your hunting technique.
Everything is to throw imagination. Of course, important, the game sessions should last as long as necessary until the furry is tired. It can be 15 minutes or it can be 20. This he will say. Also, you have to do 2-3 sessions a day ; This way, we will keep you fit and happy.
Affection and company
Although this is at the bottom of the list, it is actually one of the most important things, if not the most. If there is no affection or company, the kitten will not be well with us . And it is that, from the first day we must make him feel that we love him and that we care, always respecting his space and himself.
At four months, should we treat the kitten like an adult cat?
Kittens have an incredibly rapid growth and development period in their first few weeks of life. They are born with undeveloped eyes and ears. They can’t walk, but they crawl on their bellies dragging the ground and rely on their developing sense of smell to find mom and feed. Its development is as follows:
- At 2 weeks of age, the kitten’s eyes have opened.
- By 3 weeks of age, the kitten’s ear canal has fully opened.
- At 4 weeks of age, the kitten can pass urine and feces on its own, before this, it is up to the mother to stimulate it to excrete its droppings. Her needle-sharp baby teeth are poking through her gums
- At 4 weeks of age, cats begin to explore their environment a little further away from the mother and interact appropriately with their littermates. They are showing an interest in mother’s food and can now begin to be weaned on kitten food.
- Between 8 and 12 weeks of age, cats are old enough to receive their vaccinations and leave their mother to go to their new home.
- At 4 months of age, primary teeth begin to fall out as they are replaced by permanent teeth. The kitten will have a full set of adult teeth around 7 months of age.
- At 5-6 months, the kitten is old enough to be spayed or
Kittens can start to look like adult cats at 6 months of age, but not earlier. At four months he is still a small and playful cat. It needs nutritional support for optimal health and development during its growth phase, which lasts for one year. They need a balanced and very complete diet until 12 months of age, that is when they are considered adults and can be fed with food for adult cats.
Things you should know before having a four-month-old cat at home
In addition to everything discussed above, it is important that you take into account a number of things when you are going to take care of a 4-month-old kitten:
- Take him to the vet regularly.
- Have a cat carriercan take him to the vet’s office or for short trips.
- Have at home a bed, a feeder and a drinker suitable for your small cat.
- You can’t miss out on toys, a litter box, cat brushes and combs for your cat (especially if it has long hair).
- Buy food for kittens less than six months old.
- Buy her a shatter- proof necklaceand make her feel comfortable in your home.
Also, since your cat is still small and very playful, you should keep some things in mind:
- Remove the cables from the ground.
- Hide all the chemicalsand don’t have toxic plants for cats.
- Hide all medicationsand anything else that could be dangerous for your cat.
- Have ascratching post so your cat can fulfill its scratching instinct.
- Reserve a private areaso that your cat can feel safe, for example to rest or use its litter box.
- Put water and food in different placesin your home so you always have access
- Keep a home full of peace and quiet so your kitty feels safe. You can put a cardboard bed and a blanket nearwhere you usually rest.
- Keep the litter box awayfrom where your cat eats or drinks water.
Signs to watch out for
If you have a four-month-old kitten, he is still small and you should take some things into account so that, in this way, you can attend him in case he needs medical attention. He is still small and his defenses are not fully developed, so there are some signs of health that you should watch closely.
If the kitten does any of these things, even once, you need to be concerned. In most cases, it will be nothing … but, you will have to consult the vet in case it worries you or it just happens:
- Nausea / excessive hairballs
- Tires easily
- Straining to urinate or defecate
- Bleeding from any part of the body.
- Abnormal spasms
- Loss or decreased appetite
- Change in attitude or behavior.
- Lethargic or depressed
- Breathing heavily
- Or any other problems or concerns you have!
Taking all this into account, you should take him to the vet to check that all is well in his health or if something is happening that should be addressed as soon as possible to improve. With these tips, our 4 month old kitten can continue to grow happily.
Is a 4 month old cat still a kitten?
How often do 4 month old kittens pee?
How long can you leave a 4 month kitten?
Why is my 4 month old kitten so mean?
What should I feed my 4 month old cat?
Do cats poop less than kittens?
Are 6 month old cats still kittens?
At what age can cats have kittens?
How many years does a cat live?
What should I expect from my 4 month old kitten?
What age are kittens most active?
How could you tell a cat’s age?
How do I train my 4 month old kitten?
What age do female cats stop growing?