Cats have a well-deserved reputation for being extremely clean animals. With their daily grooming they keep their fur in optimal condition. However, there are certain circumstances in which, either by veterinary prescription or because you need to remove the dirt attached to their hair, you should go to the bathroom.
Although most felines are not very fond of water, there are some breeds such as the Maine Coon or the Siberian that enjoy water play. If you manage to turn the bath into a routine that your pet learns from a young age, the difficulties will be considerably reduced. At the end remember to reward him to set a positive memory.
- You may also be interested in: How to eliminate fleas in cats
Situations that force the bathroom
As a general rule, you do not need to abuse your pussy’s bathroom, since he will take care of keeping it spotless. In the case of puppies, you can start this routine from 2 or 3 months . If you want to fix this routine with a certain frequency, you should pay attention to the length of its coat and the time of year in question.
The cats with semi-long or long hair, as well as the summer favor a greater assiduity in the baths. You can carry them out every 15 days to preserve the shape of his mantle free of tangles. During the winter it will be enough if you do it once a month .
When to bathe your cat
Among the most common circumstances that justify bathing a cat, the following deserve your attention:
- Your cat has fleas or ticks and the vet has recommended you bathe him with an antiparasitic shampoo to eliminate them.
- You have suffered a heat stroke.
- He is afflicted with an allergy or pathology that damages his skin and you must take extreme care.
- It has become soiled with a substance that could be toxic if ingested while grooming. We refer to gasoline, paint, thinner or any other aggressive chemical product.
- You have ringworm .
- You are having an episode of diarrhea or a very old cat that has stopped grooming.
- You found it on the street and you want to keep it. More if possible, if you already have other cats.
Things to consider before bathing a cat
There are several aspects that you should keep in mind before facing the first bath of your kitten. Take note:
- You should approach the bathroom in a quiet place, without noise or drafts.
- Make sure your pet is relaxed, for example after a play session. In this way, it will be less bellicose.
- Keep in mind that it may take some time to complete the entire preparation, bathing, drying and brushing process. Therefore, reserve the precise time.
- Be calm so that you do not overstress your cat and do not stop stroking or talking in an affectionate way. If you are in a pleasant environment, your opposition will be less. -Protect your ears with individual cottons.
- Brush it off to remove dead hair and any existing balls. In this way, the bath will be more effective and your feline will look spectacular.
- Do not overfill the sink or the bucket in which you are going to bathe it. Never exceed 10 centimeters.
- The water should be warm, closer to room temperature.
- Use a specific shampoo for cats and that does not give off a very strong smell. If so, they will reject it for sure.
- Don’t feed him too much before the bath. With the stress of the novelty, she could throw up.
- Protect the base of the sink or bucket with a rubber mat. By not slipping you will feel safer.
- Especially for the first time, get help from another person. You can take care of holding his front legs or distracting him with his favorite toy.
- If you want to cut or file his nails, always do it dry, before bathing.
- Never try to rinse it with the tap. Rinse it off with your own hands. The pressure and the noise of the faucet will scare you and you will want to escape.
Methods for bathing a cat
Depending on the degree of tolerance of your kitten, you can bathe him in the sink, in the bathtub or, in the most critical cases, using an atomizer or sprayer . If your pet does not support this routine you may need to bathe him dry. We develop it below.
How to bathe a brave cat
In the most favorable scenario are the cats that, even though they do not know the bath experience, are not scared when they hear the sound of the tap. If you are in this group, in addition to being very lucky, you will be able to bathe your cat in the sink. You should fill it until you check that the warm water covers your belly.
Wet your hands and proceed to dampen their fur little by little. Add the cat shampoo and dilute it in the water. Re-moisten your cat with this soapy water, administering circular massages in the direction of the hair . In this way, you will facilitate the penetration of the shampoo. To clarify, use this same water and your hands.
Make sure you have removed all of the shampoo, as it could irritate her skin. Don’t wash his head. If it is very dirty, you should sanitize it with a cloth moistened in soapy water.
How to bathe a fearful cat
In the middle are the less brave cats who are not enthusiastic about bathing, but who get along reasonably well. These felines must receive their bath in the bathtub inserted in a bucket or if you have a garden using 3 basins. One with soapy water and the remaining 2 with clean water for rinsing.
You will also need 2 towels, one to dry it and the other to protect you from its scratches . Place it on the edge of the bathtub or on your knees, if your pet rests his paws on them. The procedure is exact to the previous one with the exception that you must act more quickly.
How to bathe a squeamish cat
The most extreme situation corresponds to the cats most stressed with the bathroom, those who have a really bad time. They may even experience nausea. For them they are more appropriate with atomizers or sprayers and even dry baths. You can pour warm water with the diluted shampoo into the sprayer and apply it to the mantle, little by little.
Massage and rinse using a bucket of warm water that you should have by your side. If you are forced to do it dry, never skimp on the quality of the product , since your cat will end up ingesting it when licking.
How to dry a cat after a bath
As delicate as the bathroom itself is drying. Except for the summer season, it is not advisable to let the cat air dry. Therefore, you should use a hairdryer once the bath is finished. When you take it out of the sink or basin, you should remove most of the moisture with a towel through gentle strokes .
Next, you will have to use the dryer. Position the heat button on cold and do not bring the dryer close to your cat’s skin, it could burn. Some experts recommend using a carrier or kennel for drying. Once inside it, make quick passes through the door.
Brush after drying
Your cat’s bath will be done with brushing. When it is completely dry, it is time to brush it to get rid of dead hair. Your mantle will be pompous, shiny and soft.
Depending on the length of your hair you should use a brush or another . In the case of long or semi-long hair, it is recommended that the bristles be long, metallic and separated. If your pet has short hair, you will need the quills to be short and flexible.
As you can see, cat bathing is a whole process that includes several stages that must be carried out with care so that the animal does not catch a cold. At the end you should take the opportunity to use positive reinforcement and contribute to the creation of a positive memory around this experience. We hope we have been helpful.
How often should you bathe a cat?
Is it OK to bathe a cat?
How do I wash my cat without getting scratched?
How do you bathe an aggressive cat?
Do cats feel good after a bath?
Should a cat sleep on your bed?
How do vets give cats a bath?
Are house cats happy?
How often should I clean my cat’s litter box?
Why do cats hate water?
How do you clean cat poop?
Do cats clean poop off themselves?
Do cats protect their owners?
Why does cat poop smell so bad?
Should I brush my cat’s teeth?
how to bathe a kitten
how to bathe a cat who hates water
how to bathe a cat with fleas
how to bathe a stray cat
cat died after bath
how to wash a cat without cat shampoo
how often should you wash your indoor cat
how to bathe a cat without water