Have you just welcomed a cat into your home and are you looking for a name for it? The cultural heritage that we have at the hands of the hundreds of films, books, television series and cartoons may well serve you for this purpose. Of course, try to give it a worthy name, that does not have second meanings or that gives rise to confusion.
It is recommended that it be short (maximum 3 syllables) and easy to pronounce so that it is easier for you to assimilate it as your own. In the first days you should repeat it every time you interact with him and reward his progress. Sing it lovingly so that it associates it with something positive. Find inspiration in these famous cat names!
You may also be interested in: Signs that your cat loves you
Is it necessary to name your cat?
Without a doubt, naming your kitten and helping him learn it is one of the first steps to start your coexistence with all the guarantees. This gesture will favor their integration into the family, as one more member. Look at their physical characteristics and their behavior to find the name that best suits you.
You should like it and evoke good memories, for example, because it matches the name of a cartoon character or the name of a literary character’s mascot that marked you decades ago. To facilitate this work, we are going to show you some of the many feline names that audiovisual media give us.
The Disney universe and youth movies
Disney cartoons and movies provide us with countless names of felines (tigers, lions and cats) that are known to all. If your kitten has any physical or character resemblance to any of them, it will be easier for you. Here are some samples:
- The Lion King, in addition to his protagonist Simba, his partner Nala, his cubs Kiara and Kion, and their mothers deserve your attention. Safarina for Nala and Sarabi for Simba.
- The Lady and the Tramp with Si and Am, two Siamese cats who do not give up their efforts to hunt the bird and the fish of the house.
- Aladdin, Rajah is the tiger that accompanies Jasmine.
- The Jungle Book, Baguera is the impressive black panther who teaches Mowgli to survive in the jungle.
- Winnie the Pooh, the friendly tiger Tigger who always gets in trouble.
- The Smurfs, the cat of the evil Gargamel, Azrael.
- The Simpsons, Snowball.
- Doraemon, he and his friend Mimi can inspire you.
- The Aristocats, the beautiful Duchess is a white cat, mother of 3 intrepid kittens: Marie, Berlioz and Toulouse.
- Alice in Wonderland, do you remember the red kitten named Diana or Pom-Pom in Cinderella?
- Bolt, Mittens.
- Stuart Little, Pelusa.
- Alf, lucky.
Other more creative proposals
If you are more fond of other types of cinema or literature, we also have names to suggest you. From science, through literature and fiction cinema, perhaps for a more adult audience, you should pay attention to these names. Who doesn’t know Gardfiel or the smug Hello Kitty? You may find yours on this list :
- Pokémon, Pikachu is not the only funny name, there are also Misty, Brock, Ash, Bulbasaur or Squirtle.
- Galileo, in honor of the scientist and astronomer Galileo Galilei.
- From the Star Wars saga, Yoda, Anakin, Leia or Vader could inspire you.
- Matrix, Neo or Trinity.
- Dragon Ball, Goku.
- From the saga of Harry Potter, Severus, Draco, Dobby, Ron, Sirius or Remus.
- From Game of Thrones, Tyrion and Osha.
- From The Lord of the Rings, Sauron and Arwen, to name just 2 examples, one for each sex.
- The Hunger Games, Katniss.
- Moulin Rouge, Satine. A suggestive name for a beautiful and insightful black cat.
- Bram alluding to the creator of Dracula, Bram Stoker.
- Caligula or Nero, in memory of the ruthless and tormented Roman emperors.
Choose with love
As you can see, this is just a brief illustration that could spark your creativity and be useful as a guide. The possibilities are almost endless. Once the name has been selected, repeat it insistently and integrate it into your game routine. Start with long distances and work your way down. For example, you can hide behind a door and knock on him.
When he approaches, reward him with his favorite treat or a touch. If you carry out this process daily after 5-10 days you will be able to identify it as yours. Likewise, you can personalize the proposals that we have suggested, varying them at will to differentiate yourself. Have you already opted for a name?