As our pets live with us in our home, they are exposed to ingesting foods that can be harmful to their health. Sometimes these foods can be ingested accidentally and in another given by us for food.
To avoid problems for our cats, I will list the foods that you should avoid in your cat’s diet, this list is not complete, but here are some foods that can be deadly for your cat if you include them in its diet.
The 15 foods that are dangerous to let your cat eat
Grapes and raisins
- The exact toxin in grapes and raisins is not known, but it can cause acute kidney failure . Few studies have been done on the subject, but it appears that the unknown toxic substance is found in the fleshy part of the grape. In the case of raisins, as they lack water, they contain approximately 4.5 times more of it, gram for gram.
- It is not known if certain varieties of grapes and raisins contain more of the toxic substance or if certain breeds of cats are more sensitive to it.
- Onions can be toxic, they contain thiosulfatethat destroys red blood cells and can cause hemolytic anemia.
- It only takes a small amount of onion powder to create a serious health problem.
- Avoid both raw and cooked onions for cats.
- People use garlic to control fleas and it can cause toxicity. It also contains thiosulfate. There is no evidence that garlic is effective as a flea repellent.
- Although less toxic than onions, garlic also damages red blood cells, destroying their ability to carry oxygen.
- Chocolate contains a substance called theobrominethat is highly toxic to animals. It can cause heart attacks, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- In general, cats do not have a sweet tooth, but they can ingest chocolate if they are hungry, bored, etc.
- Chocolate also contains caffeine.
- Even a small amount of chocolate can be deadly to a cat.
- The enzyme in raw fish is called thiaminase,and it destroys the body’s thiamine (a B vitamin). An untreated thiamine deficiency can lead to seizures and even death.
- Raw egg whites contain avidin,an enzyme that causes a decreased ability to absorb biotin (a B vitamin).
- Raweggs can also contain bacteria that can lead to salmonella.
- Tuna flavored cat food in moderation is fine, but tuna has a strong taste and smell that can be addicting.
- Tuna contains mercury, which can cause poisoning if the cat’s diet contains large amounts.
- Tuna packed in oil can cause a painful condition called steatitis, also known as yellow fat disease.
- Dog food is not formulated to meet the needs of a cat. It lacks the sufficient amount of protein and fatthat cats need in their diet.
- Dog food lacks the amino acid taurine, which is essential for cats. Dogs can make taurine on their own, but cats must get it through their diet.
- Once kittens are weaned, they lose the ability to properly digest lactose , which can lead to diarrhea.
- If you offer milk as a substitute for water, you put your cat at serious risk of dehydration.
- Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, shortness of breath, tremors, coma, and even death. Under no circumstances should you give your pet alcohol.
- If you suspect that your pet has ingested alcohol, contact your vet immediately.
- Consuming too much salt can lead to excessive thirst and frequent urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. If your cat has eaten too much salty food, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures, and even death.
- Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, products, and toothpaste. It can cause the release of insulin in most pets, leading to liver failure. Increased insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination, which can lead to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.
- Rising yeast dough can cause gas to build up in your cat’s digestive system. This can be very painful and make the stomach bloat. The digested mass can affect your cat’s blood flow and make it difficult for him to breathe.
- The peels, fruits, and seeds of citrus products contain varying amounts of citric acid,which can cause irritation and even depression of the central nervous system if ingested in significant amounts. When small amounts are consumed, there should be no problems beyond a slight upset stomach.
Coconut and coconut oil
- When ingested in small amounts, coconut-based products are likely to cause serious harm to your pet. Fresh coconut milk and meat contain oils that can cause an upset stomach, loose stools, or diarrhea. You must be careful when offering these foods to your cat. Coconut water is rich in potassium and should not be given to your pet.
People Also Search For
homemade cat food
foods cats can eat
what is harmful to cats
what foods are poisonous to cats
best food for cats
foods cats cant eat
mercury poisoning in cats
my cat wont eat human food
People also ask
What is the most toxic food for cats?
Why has my cat suddenly gone off her food?
How can you tell if cat food has gone bad?
How long can a sick cat not eat?
How do u know when ur cat is about to die?
What are the symptoms of a cat dying of kidney failure?
Can cats get sick from old wet food?
How long does dry cat food stay fresh once opened?
How long is dry cat food good for after expiration date?
What happens if a cat doesn’t eat for 2 days?
What to do if the cat is not eating?
How do I know if my cat is in pain?
Can 1 raisin kill a cat?
What human food can cats have?
What foods are bad for cats?