Coffee, onion, fish viscera and salt are prohibited foods for felines, as they destroy their red blood cells and cause diarrhea, poisoning and possibly even death.
Coffee, salt, sugar, onion, and fish guts are dangerous foods for cats . These forbidden foods cause diarrhea and gastrointestinal problems in felines and, in the worst case, poisonings and the death of the animal. Here are eight dangerous foods for cats , foods that can cause serious health problems for cats . Some of them? The milk intolerant cats and chocolate. The precautions that must be taken into account when feeding the feline are also included. And it is that cats have more problems than dogs to eliminate the toxins they ingest. This explains why it is so important to take special care with your diet and avoid foods that cause health problems.
- Dangerous food for cats: fish entrails
Myths about the food that the cat likes encourage feeding errors that can be very expensive. This is the case of the belief that it is a fishmonger by nature .
In this statement there is part of the truth, “because the feline is carnivorous and, therefore, fish likes it and should be part of its diet, along with other foods,” explains Sandra Garcinuñez, from the Feline Protection association .
The unknown part about the cat that eats fish is that too much offal from this raw meat can lead to paralysis or muscle stiffness (called Chastek’s palsy ). The reason is that they contain a component that destroys vitamin B1, “the lack of which causes paralysis in the cat’s muscles,” says Juan Antonio Aguado, a veterinarian.
Another danger for the feline that eats fish is thorns , which can cause perforations in the esophagus and intestinal obstructions. In addition, it should be remembered that raw fish has a parasite called anisakis , which can cause stomach upset in cats.
- Dangerous seasoning for cats: salt
A feline should ingest little salt to avoid accumulations of saline debris in the kidney that cause urinary problems. The specific foods for them contain the appropriate proportion of salt, but if the owner wants to offer some culinary extra in a timely manner, it is recommended ham or turkey low in salt .
The cat with cardiovascular problems should always avoid salt to keep its disease under control.
- Milk for the cat: in little quantity
Milk and fish are foods that are associated with the cat’s diet, but can be harmful
Milk is associated with the feline as a food that he likes and feels good to him. However it is not always so. “The cat that has lactose intolerance and ingests milk may suffer from diarrhea”, points out Manuel Lázaro, veterinarian.
However, there are felines that find this food good, but it is advisable to offer it in small quantities and sporadically.
. Dangerous vegetable for felines: onion
Onions, chives and leeks contain thiosulfate, a component that causes the destruction of red blood cells in cats , which is also known as hemolytic anemia.
Another part of this vegetable that is toxic to you is the green shoots (similar to stalks) that grow on it.
- Chocolate, a toxic sweet for cats
Chocolate contains theobromine and the cat has a metabolism that lacks the ability to eliminate this substance. Therefore, if it accumulates in large quantities in the feline’s blood, it is toxic and deadly for him.
- Dangerous food for cats: chicken bones
Chicken bones are dangerous for the cat because their ingestion can cause damage to the intestine, such as perforations or obstructions . If you offer chicken, it is best to cook it without bones.
A healthy alternative? Prepare a homemade recipe with chicken for cats , hydrating and rich for the summer!
- Alcohol, also harmful to the cat
Alcoholic beverages are harmful to the cat’s health. The consequences for a feline that has ingested alcohol are urinary incontinence and, in large doses, death .
- Coffee and tea: very exciting for cats
A cat that ingests exciting substances, such as those in coffee or tea, may become upset or nervous. The feline lacks the ability of other animals, such as the dog, to eliminate toxic substances that accumulate in its liver, so a cat that takes caffeine or theine will show more the excitatory properties of these substances in its organism, since it will take longer to clear them from your body.
Cat feeding: precautions
- The cat likes tuna for its unctuous and tasty texture, but it is a meat that lacks a substance called taurine , an essential amino acid for the proper functioning of the feline metabolism.
- The plants that are in the houses are mostly toxic to the cat . You have to be especially careful with lilies, rhododendrons, oleanders, the one known as poinsettia, ivy or holly. Cats are elastic and skilled climbers, so care must be taken so that they do not have access to these plants that can pose a serious danger to their health.
- A thin feline, weighing between two and three kilos, can put itself in danger by eating a small amount of a food that is not its usual feed , such as three olives: it is as if it ingested triple that amount due to its size, for which can cause diarrhea or vomiting.
- Self-medicating the cat is counterproductive to its health . This is the case of acetylsalicylic acid and paracetamol, components that the feline liver has difficulty eliminating, so the animal can be intoxicated.
People Also Search For
homemade cat food
what is harmful to cats
foods cats can eat
what foods are poisonous to cats
best food for cats
foods cats cant eat
can cats eat white rice
cat food poisoning