The cough is an involuntary act caused by irritation either in the throat or bronchi. Cats, like us, cough to try to expel what has caused this reflex, be it foreign objects, viruses or bacteria if they are sick, grass, or even smoke, among others. But they can also cough if their collar is too tight.
Coughs in cats are often a symptom of a disease, so we are going to see what the causes are and how to treat them.
Main causes of cough in cats
- Respiratory disease:It is one of the most common causes: if the cat coughs and also sneezes and has watery eyes, it is most likely that it has a respiratory problem, such as an allergy or a cold. But if instead of sneezing what you hear is like “whistling”, or if you have difficulty breathing, it is a symptom of asthma.
- Parasites and fungi:If the cat coughs sporadically, and is listless, with little appetite and if it is also losing weight, it may have parasites, such as worms, or fungi.
- Heart problems: Heartproblems can also cause a cat to cough.
Treatment of cough in cats
Whenever it is suspected that the furry has a serious health problem, especially if he is losing appetite and / or weight, and if he has breathing problems, it is important to take him to the vet for examination , because as I have seen, he could have some serious illness, such as asthma or heart problems.
Now, if the cough is short-lived and the animal leads a normal life, then we can treat it at home, but without giving it medicine for humans. You should never self-medicate a cat , as there are many – including aspirin – that can be toxic. What we can do is:
- Clean his eyes and noseoften with a gauze soaked in warm water.
- Provide plenty of water.
- Keep the home at a comfortable temperature.
And, of course, give him a lot of pampering so that he recovers soon 🙂.
People Also Search For
cat cough home remedy
cat coughing treatment
what should i do if my cat is coughing
home remedies for cat sneezing and coughing
cat coughing and wheezing
cat making choking coughing sound
cat wakes up coughing