The crystals cat urine is one of the most common causes of visits to the vet, not the glass itself, if not the symptoms that accompany them and not like anything human.
For this reason, we are going to tell you what it is that makes the furry have stones or not, and what to do so that they can recover.
Why are they formed?
The formation of stones or stones, known by the name of urolithiasis, occurs when the minerals in the urine join with each other . But why? For that, you have to know that in urine there is a variable concentration of electrolytes, which can have a positive or negative charge, which is what makes them have a tendency to join (opposite charges attract each other, like two magnets).
In addition, it also has a pH that can be more acidic or more alkaline depending on many factors such as diet, medications or infections.
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms that we will see in cats are:
- Urine with blood
- Difficulty urinating, with pain and / or discomfort
- He urinates little, but he goes to the sandbox a lot
- Frequent licking of the genital area
- Starts urinating out of the sandbox
- Is irritable
- And in very serious cases, the cat stops urinating
Once our furry have any of these symptoms, especially the last one, they must be taken to the vet urgently.
How is it diagnosed?
The vet will do a physical examination and will ask us a series of questions to get an idea of what may be happening to them (if they drink or not, how often they go to the litter box, if they have lost their appetite, etc.). Then, they will do a urine analysis, for this we will have to have taken a sample before going to consultation with a plastic syringe without a needle.
In the sample, if they are confirmed to have crystals , you will see that these are of any of these three types:
- Struvite crystals: formed when the diet is very high in magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, chlorine and fiber, and when it is low in fat.
- Calcium oxalate: they are formed when they are fed low-quality commercial feed, which contains cereals, which are ingredients that cats cannot digest well (remember that they are carnivores, not herbivores).
- Crystals of urate or uric acid: they are formed when they are given a diet whose food base is the viscera, such as the liver. It is the least frequent type.
How are they treated?
It will depend on the case: if they are very serious, they will need fluid therapies to keep them hydrated, in addition to extracting their urine through a catheter. But if the animals continue to go to the sandbox and relieve themselves and what happens is that they have less severe symptoms, with a change in diet recommended by the veterinarian they will recover.
People Also Search For
crystals in cat urine home remedies
how to prevent crystals in cat urine
homemade cat food recipe for urinary crystals
cat food for urinary crystals
natural remedies for struvite crystals in cats
non prescription cat food for urinary crystals
natural ways to dissolve bladder stones in cats
how to lower cat urine ph
People also ask
How do you treat crystals in cats urine?
What causes crystals in cat urine?
How do I know if my cat has crystals in urine?
What can I give my cat for urinary problems?
What is the best food for cats with urinary crystals?
How long does it take to dissolve struvite crystals in cats?
How do I know if my cat has crystals?
Does apple cider vinegar help cats with crystals?
Can cats drink cranberry juice?