Can you imagine eating a toast with ham and your cat sitting next to you looking at you until you give it a piece? Well that’s what usually happens, and too often. What happens is that to make him happy we give it to him without thinking about the consequences that this gesture can have.
And now is when we wonder if cats can eat ham. If you have doubts, I will solve them below .
Can I give my cat ham?
As we know, we have the Serrano and the York. The two are different: while the first is usually very salty and a bit difficult to cut with your hands (especially if it is a thick piece), the other is softer and easier to cut and chew, so it is often the chosen to give the cat.
Still, we have to know that the risk that you feel bad is something we should worry about:
Salted or Serrano ham
If we give them once from time to time nothing will happen (they may have gas or make the stools a bit soft, but except for that it is not something we have to worry about), but if we do it daily we will run the risk that they will end up having kidney problems. The salty or serrano ham as it is also known, is rich in salts, which can cause kidney or liver stones.
York ham or sweet is different, especially if it is low in salt. Cats also tend to like it a lot, so we will not have any problems eating it. Now, we have to give them as a reward, not as a main meal , since otherwise they would end up having problems due to the lack of nutrients and minerals that, for example, a high quality dry feed or the Barf diet provides them. .
What foods can be given to cats?
If we would like you to eat more natural foods and not think so much, we can give you the following:
- Fruits: pears, watermelons, peaches, apples (as a treat) and strawberries.
- Vegetables: boiled carrots, boiled peas, boiled pumpkin, raw cucumber, raw lettuce, green beans, and sweet potatoes.
- Meat: beef, chicken or turkey. Always boneless and somewhat boiled.
- Fish: any if it is fresh and boiled before serving.
What can NOT be given to a cat?
There are many foods that humans consume regularly but that the cat feels very bad. In fact, there are some that are very harmful to you and that, therefore, we must avoid at all costs:
- Avocado: contains Persina, which is a toxic fungicidal substance for cats.
- Citrus: lemons, oranges, grapefruits, etc. cause diarrhea and stomach pain.
- Grapes and raisins: affect the kidneys, causing physical discomfort and diarrhea.
- Garlic, onion, chives and the like: in high doses they can cause anemia.
- Green potato leaves, stems and shoots: contain solanine, which is also very harmful to humans. At the very least it causes diarrhea and discomfort, but in high doses it can be fatal.
- Tomato: contains, in addition to solanine, tomatine, which can be lethal in high doses.
- Tea, coffee, chocolate: these three contain theobromine, which affects the nervous system thus causing seizures. In addition, you can suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, ulcers and even death.
- Salt: causes kidney problems and hypertension in high doses.
- Sugar: can cause vomiting, lethargy, and liver failure.
- Dog food: dog food contains less animal protein than cat food, since dogs do not need as much. Likewise, felines also need taurine for their visual health to be good, since their body does not produce it by itself. Therefore, if we give them dog food sooner rather than later we could see that cats lose weight and health.
- Alcohol, drugs, … stimulants in general: if they can already be harmful to us, for the cat they are very dangerous and can cause death.
- Medicines without veterinary prescription: Medicines are not food, but I wanted to take the opportunity to mention them. Cats should never be medicated without first consulting a professional. Aspirin, ibuprofen, acetaminophen… all of this is VERY toxic to cats.
If your furry is sick, take him to the vet as soon as possible. Don’t gamble with their health.
I hope this article has been useful to you 🙂. Keep in mind that if your cat already has a kidney problem or you suspect it may, you should never give it food that has salt, not even York ham. His health comes first, so when he looks at you with that feline face asking for something, now you will know if you can give it to him or on the contrary it will be better than not.
Can Ham kill cats?
How much ham can a cat eat?
Why do cats love ham?
What human food can cats eat?
Can 1 raisin kill a cat?
Is deli ham bad for cats?
What shouldn’t cats eat?
Can cats have cheese?
How much garlic is poisonous to cats?
Can cats eat chicken?
Can cats eat eggs?
Can cats eat the same food everyday?
can cats eat bread
can cats eat cheese
can cats eat chicken
can cats eat eggs
what can cats eat
can cats eat tuna
can dogs eat ham
can cats eat ham baby food