Is there an image more repeated than a happy cat with a fish?
As cat owners, we often ask ourselves: Are they sufficiently stimulated? They’re happy? Are their diets varied enough? Most of the time, the answer is yes. But that does not prevent some owners from wanting to add variety to the diet of our felines.
To provide that variety, we sometimes consider sharing our “human” foods like sardines .
Sardines are one of the cheapest and most readily available fish on the market. They come in small cans, the size of a bite, in oil, water or sardines in tomato sauce . Because they are so popular, many of us want to share our favorite little fish with our cats. But can cats eat sardines ?
No problem! The sardines can be a perfect complement to your cat’s diet . However, you should also take into consideration a series of precautions that I indicate below.
You may also be interested in reading the article: Can cats eat strawberries? Come in and check it out .
- What Nutrients Does A Cat Get From Eating Sardines
- Can baby kittens eat sardines?
- Precautions when feeding your cat with sardines
- Can Cats Eat Canned Tuna?
- Conclusion can cats eat sardines?
What Nutrients Does A Cat Get From Eating Sardines
Sardines have a number of important nutrients for your cat’s health:
- ProteinA single serving of sardines contains more than 20 grams of protein.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that are excellent for your cat’s hair and joints, as well as for preventing allergic reactions and seizure disorders.
- Vitamin Dwhich is great for cat bones.
- Vitamin B12, this heart-healthy vitamin improves feline cardiovascular health.
While you may not like the idea of opening a can of sardines, chances are your cat is very excited.
There are a few things to keep in mind before offering sardines to your cat.
- Sardines are very caloric and fatty, so they should not be the main source of nutrition for your cat. Add them to your regular dinner or give them as a treat, don’t abuse.
- All sardines are not presented in the same way. Sardines in soy, corn, or other oils can be harmful to your cat’s health. Before buying, check the label to see how it is made.
Can baby kittens eat sardines?
Kittens can eat sardines as long as you provide them in moderation . Know that kittens are more sensitive to new foods than their adult counterparts.
If you want to give your kitten some sardines, here are some tips:
- Never give a kitten too many sardines, as they add too much fat.
- As with adult cats, try giving your kitten sardines packed in water(never oil!).
- Be careful with the thorns. It may be a good idea to mash your sardines before giving them to a kitten, just to remove any large thorns.
- Keep an eye on your kitty after she’s eaten sardines, just to make sure she doesn’t get sick.
Precautions when feeding your cat with sardines
- Sardines in sunflower oil:the sunflower oil in small quantities can improve the brightness of a cat hair and facilitate removal of hairballs. However, in excess it can cause vomiting and diarrhea, due to its laxative effect . It is advisable to remove the sunflower oil from the can before giving it to your cat.
- Sardines in tomato sauce:it is not recommended to let your cat eat this preparation of sardines. Cats shouldn’t taste spices , and their digestive systems are unprepared for acidic foods. Many sardines in tomato sauce also include garlic or onion, which are, again, foods that can be toxic to your cat. In any case, it is best to toss the tomato sauce off the fish before giving it to your cat.
- Cancer Risk:Fatty acids are important for the immune systems of cats. However, they can also be carcinogenic. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to slow the development and metastasis of certain cancers. Omega-6 fatty acids, on the other hand, have been shown to stimulate tumor development.
- Weight gain: While the risk of cancer remains slight, fatty fish is high in calories. Not only can cats gain weight and become obese, they can also develop digestive problems like diarrhea.
- Mercury poisoning: This is an issue that primarily concerns tuna , although we know that all fish contain amounts of mercury. Due to the amount of mercury in the oceans, it is an unavoidable fact that metal makes its way up the food chain.
Can Cats Eat Canned Tuna?
The answer is that sometimes and in certain circumstances. If you are thinking of feeding your cat normal canned tuna made for humans, it should not be with oil and salt.
Make sure the can of tuna only contains fish packed in water. Check the ingredients for additional chemicals, as well as keep an eye out for oil and salt as I noted above.
Conclusion can cats eat sardines?
If you can! If your cat loves sardines, you can rest easy when feeding them.
Here are some final questions about feeding sardines to cats:
- Make sure to give your cat canned sardines that are, if possible, without oil. Avoid any type of oil, even oil from other fish.
- Only offer sardines to your cat as a dietary supplement or a treat. Feeding your cat a can of sardines instead of cat food is not a good idea. Although they are tasty and healthy, cats need more than sardines for optimal nutrition.
- Watch your cat, if he has diarrhea, an upset stomach or any other strange symptoms after eating sardines, do not give them to him again. If symptoms continue, take him to the vet soon.
- If your cat has obesity problems, sardines are not the most suitable, as they are a very caloric food.
People Also Search For
can cats have sardines in sunflower oil
can cats eat sardines with bones
can cats eat sardines in water
can cats eat dried sardines
can cats eat mackerel
sardines for cats side effects
can cats eat sardines in brine
sardines for cats with kidney disease
People also ask
Can cats eat canned sardines?
Can cats eat canned sardines in olive oil?
Can my cat eat sardines in tomato sauce?
How do you know if canned sardines are bad?
How long does a can of sardines last?
Should canned sardines be refrigerated?
Can I feed my cat sardines everyday?
Is canned tuna good for cats?
Can cat’s eat bread?
Is it OK to give cats olive oil?
Are canned sardines cooked?
Can cats eat eggs?
What canned fish can cats eat?
How can I get rid of my cat’s matted fur?
Can cats eat canned chicken?