The ataxia is a very serious disease that affects several animals, including cats and young children. Thus, if you have a kitten that has suddenly started shaking, or if he walks as if he were drunk, it is very likely that he has it.
Let us know what this disease consists of and what its main symptoms are .
What is it
Ataxia is a disorder of the nervous system that is characterized by the sudden onset of an alteration in muscle coordination , either in the extremities and / or the eyes. Also, keep in mind that there are 3 different types:
- Vestibular:when it causes problems in the inner ear or in some nerves that go from this part of the body to the brain. Kittens that suffer from it will have their heads on one side, will move their eyes from one side to the other, and can fall to one side.
- Cerebellar:caused by problems in the cerebellum, which is a part of the brain that is responsible for controlling balance and coordination of movement. Animals that suffer from it may walk with their legs apart, and have trouble making calculations that help them jump the distance and with the appropriate force.
- Sensory:caused by problems in the brain, spinal cord, or peripheral nerves responsible for detecting the location of the extremities. These kittens walk with their legs wide apart.
There are many causes, but the most common are:
- Muscle, orthopedic or other problems that affect brain function
- Weakness, either from anemia, dehydration, or another illness
Is there treatment?
Unfortunately, there is still no cure for ataxia. But the symptoms are treated, helping the cat to have a better quality of life. Therefore, if your little one has any of the aforementioned symptoms, you should take him to the vet to examine him and determine the cause of his illness, in order to give him the most appropriate treatment as the case may be.
People Also Search For
types of ataxia
People also ask
What are the early signs of ataxia?
What triggers ataxia?
What are the symptoms of episodic ataxia?
What is the life expectancy of someone with ataxia?
What does ataxic gait look like?
What does ataxia feel like?
How do you test for ataxia?
Can ataxia go away?
What are the types of ataxia?
Does exercise help ataxia?
Can you drive with ataxia?
Is ataxia a disability?
What kind of doctor treats ataxia?
Is ataxia a symptom of Parkinson?
Does ataxia affect memory?