Our cat’s eyes are his mirror that reflects his soul, just like ours. But when they present lagañas, inflammation, or are between-closed, we should worry, because we will be facing a case of conjunctivitis . This is a problem that may be a symptom of some other disease our friend is suffering from, or it may be the disease. It is necessary to differentiate well when it is one thing and when it is another, because the treatment can vary in each case.
Before continuing, add that if you think your feline has conjunctivitis, it is best to go to your trusted veterinarian . There are home remedies that we will talk about in this article, but we must not forget that it is the professionals who will know how to give the best treatment to your cat.
What is conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the cornea and on both sides of the eyelids. The most frequent symptoms are:
- Redness of the inner part of the eyelids (the one in contact with the eyeball)
- Green or yellow bugs
- Itchy eyes and difficulty keeping them open
Types of conjunctivitis
There are 3 types of conjunctivitis:
- Waxy conjunctivitis: The ocular membrane appears pink and may be somewhat inflamed. Transparent tear secretions. It can be the first symptom of a viral respiratory illness, but it can also be due to some type of allergy.
- Purulent conjunctivitis: it is a type of conjunctivitis in which there is already the presence of bacteria that cause crusts on the eyelids. They may also have pus secretions. If it affects both eyes, we are talking about a viral respiratory disease that must be treated as soon as possible.
- Follicular conjunctivitis: The eyelids enlarge to form a hard surface. The eye looks irritated; secretes mucus.
Treatment for feline conjunctivitis will vary depending on the severity of the problem. For example, in very mild or mild cases it will be enough to clean the eyes with gauze – they are sold in pharmacies – and warm water several times a day, while if we have more cats or the problem is more serious, the veterinarian will tell us that Let’s clean his eyes with an eye drop and, if the case is serious or very serious, that we also give him antibiotics.
If you have two or more cats, it is highly advisable to keep them separate until the problem is solved, as they can spread very easily and quickly . Do not forget that when we touch the cat that is sick, then we must wash our hands well in order to avoid contagion.
It is very important that we go to the vet at the slightest sign of conjunctivitis , because if we leave it untreated, it can go further. In very serious cases, cats can lose their vision.
People Also Search For
conjunctivitis in cats treatment
pictures of cats with conjunctivitis
untreated conjunctivitis in cats
will cat conjunctivitis go away by itself
cat conjunctivitis wont go away
cat conjunctivitis causes
recurring conjunctivitis in cats
can cats get conjunctivitis from humans