Although cats do not usually eat anything outside of the food we offer them, there are those who do dare to try everything we leave within their reach, without being aware of the risk they run.
In the natural diet of a human, something that we all have at home , there are many products / ingredients that can be toxic and even deadly for our cat.
You may also be interested in: Guide to the best foods for cats
Although it seems obvious, we must be careful not to leave full glasses within reach of our cat or foods that contain alcohol. These animals cannot metabolize it . The symptoms that its ingestion produces appear quickly and include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulties in breathing or tremors. Fermented foods should also be avoided.
Bacteria that cause diseases such as salmonellosis , which can also affect cats, can be found in uncooked food . Also, raw meat can contain toxoplasmas and raw fish anisakis .
Special care must be taken with raw fish viscera because they have a substance capable of destroying vitamin B1, causing paralysis or muscle stiffness . Therefore, we will completely rule out a diet based on these products.
Not only is chocolate discouraged, but any sweet product will be dangerous due to its high sugar content. The cat’s metabolism cannot assimilate it . Sweeteners used to replace sugar, such as xylitol, will be equally toxic.
Any product with a high level of fat could be dangerous. Bacon or butter, for example, are strongly discouraged . Others like avocado do not usually attract the attention of the cat but they could ingest them as part of the ingredients of some preparation.
We must be especially careful, especially with saturated fats. They can cause pancreatitis and symptoms related to the gastrointestinal system, such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Peanuts and walnuts
A poisoning nuts affect the nervous system and muscle and cause digestive symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea or abdominal pain, as well as pale mucous membranes, tremors, weakness or paralysis.
The caffeine is a toxic substance that will lead to the affect the neurological system and heart. The cat will be restless, breathe fast, vomit, have diarrhea, and may even convulse.
Onion and garlic
These products contain triosulfate that, even cooked, can cause hemolytic anemia , yes, if the cat ingests them in considerable quantity or in small doses for a long time.
Hemolytic anemia occurs when red blood cells break down. These break down into hemoglobin and bilirubin, which are yellow in color. A symptom of this destruction will be a yellowing of the mucous membranes. In addition, the consumption of onion or garlic causes vomiting and diarrhea.
In some places we can read that its use is recommended to eliminate parasites . Although it is true that a small dose does not usually have serious adverse effects, due to what we have explained, it is better that we opt for safer options .
Although the risk of poisoning will depend on the amount eaten and the purity of the chocolate, we must always be careful with this product. The greater the amount of cocoa, the more dangerous it will be.
The problem lies in the theobromine , capable of causing vomiting, incoordination, pain in the abdomen, nervousness, rapid breathing, tremors, seizures, thirst or an increase in the amount of urine emitted.
It also contains caffeine and high fat content, capable of causing pancreatitis . That is why no excessively fatty food is indicated. To complicate the diagnosis, symptoms of chocolate poisoning can appear even 24 hours after ingestion.
They are not recommended due to the large amount of salt and fat they contain. Its consumption could produce symptoms at the digestive level. In addition, the excess of salt ends up damaging the renal system . Chronic kidney disease and hypertension are common in cats, especially older ones.
Thorns or bones
With these remains we can cause choking, injuries and even perforations in the digestive system due to sharp or cutting edges. Small bones, such as chicken bones, can splinter, increasing the danger.
Milk and dairy derivatives
The problem with these products is that many cats grow up losing the enzyme in charge of digesting them, which is why they can cause intolerance problems. Vomiting and diarrhea will be the main symptoms.
Therefore, before giving our cat a bowl of milk, we must offer it a small amount as a test. On the other hand, in the case of kittens it is advisable that, if we give them milk, it is formulated especially for cats .
Grapes and raisins
Fresh or dried grapes can cause acute kidney damage if consumed in considerable quantities. To control them, it is important to start treatment as soon as possible. Therefore, if the cat vomits, has diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain or lethargy, we must go immediately to the vet.
What do I do if my cat has eaten a forbidden food?
We must try to determine the food and the amount ingested and inform the veterinarian . If ours is not available, you have to go to an emergency room. Treatment will depend on the severity of the poisoning, which will depend on how much the cat has eaten and the toxicity of the food.
This will include hospitalization, fluid therapy and drugs to control symptoms. Activated charcoal or stomach lavage may be needed. Therefore, it is advisable not to experiment with the food we offer our cat and keep the products we consume out of their reach .
Sharing our food with our cat is a show of affection for us, but we must be aware that the consequences can be dire. To avoid this we will have to look for suitable foods or treats specifically formulated for cats.